Preparing for the Program
Each student must have a valid passport from their home country. You can apply for a passport at the Blacksburg Post Office or the Montgomery County Courthouse Clerk's Office in Christiansburg. You can get passport photos at most pharmacies.
You should ensure that you have the proper vaccinations for this program. This can be done through the University's recommended travel clinic (Intravene), a county health department, or your family physician. Your family physician usually does not have the more specialized vaccines and should refer you to the county health department. You can see a list of recommended vaccinations and other health information at the CDC travel website.
These sites have additional information:
- General Information from the U.S. State Department
- International Travel from the U.S. State Department
- Students Abroad - U.S. State Department
- Customs Information
- Medical Information
- CDC Medical Information
- Drug Offenses Overseas from the U.S. State Department
- CIA Factbook (A great place for information on the countries we visit.)
- State Department Travel Alerts & Warnings